Running graphical applications from Bubba using VNC
To set up a working VNC server on Bubba Two, you can do the following:
1) As root, install xserver-xorg-core using aptitude (you will find it under virtual packages, select it, press +, and g to install)
2) Still as root, install jwm and vnc4server
apt-get install jwm apt-get install vnc4server
3) As your normal user, start the VNC server for the first time (see man vncserver for options -depth and -geometry that are sometimes used, but not required). You will be prompted for a password you will have to use to connect to your desktop.
4) Stop the server
vncserver -kill :1
5) Edit the ~/.vnc/xstartup file to look like this (for example)
#!/bin/sh # Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop: # unset SESSION_MANAGER # exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources xsetroot -solid grey vncconfig -iconic & xterm -bg black -fg gray & jwm &
6) Start the server again, it should now work fine.
7) Download a VNC client (for example from http://www.realvnc.com/products/download.html ), and connect to your desktop at <ip address>:5901, using the password you chose earlier