Tutorials and How-tos/Enable Playback of .flac Files from Bubba on Rhythmbox
Before you start be sure you have access to an editor you are comfortable using.
(If you don't have Rhythmbox installed, your distro probably has it in its repository. If you've not used Rhythmbox, check it out with an .mp3 or .ogg file, just to be sure its working)
Rip a .flac of your favorite track or album. Move it to Storage/music on your Bubba.
1. ssh into Bubba
- Open a terminal
- where user is your user id
- Which should look like this:
- When prompted type in the user password. If you don't have a static IP-address, see the SSH article in this Wiki
2. Become Super User
- Default root password is “excito” (without the quotes)
- You are now Super User. Don't you feel powerful? You should! You can now screw up, big time! Be careful or you might be doing a fresh install and lose all your data.
3. Change Directory to /etc
- Back up this file mt-daapd.conf (belt and suspenders are always better than dropped pants, well almost always)
cp mt-daapd.conf mt-daapd.conf.old
4. Modify mt-daapd.conf using nano
- Look for this line:
extensions = .mp3,.m4a,.m4p,.ogg
- Type “,.flac” onto the end of the line so that it looks like this
extensions = .mp3,.m4a,.m4p,.ogg,.flac
- Save the file by pressing ^O (ctrl + O)
- Exit nano by pressing ^X (ctrl + X)
- Close the terminal.
5. Reboot Bubba. Start Rhythmbox. Find your .flac. Enjoy.
Do this at your own risk. The author assumes NO responsibility for you hardware, software or the value of your portfolio.
Contributed by Vince Bardsley